* Eliminate the legal obligation to pay most or all of your debts. This is called a “discharge” of debts. It is designed to give you a fresh financial start.
* Stop foreclosure on your house or manufactured home and allow you an opportunity to catch up on missed payments. (Bankruptcy does not, however, automatically eliminate mortgages and other liens on your property without payment.)
* Prevent repossession of a car or other property, or force the creditor to return property even after it has been repossessed.
* Stop wage garnishment, debt collection harassment, and similar creditor actions to collect a debt.
* Restore or prevent termination of utility service.
* Allow you to challenge the claims of creditors who have committed fraud or who are otherwise trying to collect more than you really owe.